[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
heeen's blame forum • View topic - Influences and Imitators

<  General 2.0  ~  Influences and Imitators

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:11 pm
Site AdminPosts: 322Location: GermanyJoined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:08 pm
First of all welcome to the board and thanks for such an informative post!
I also found the influence of Giger in Niheis works quite striking, but i haven't seen the schacht-series yet, now i wonder who copied whom.. ;)
also, when i saw this one particular picture
http://heeen.de/pics/blame/staircase.jpg
i was remembered of escher's works also because of the strange perspective.
oh
wow
holy shit
i swear i have seen this picture from that bellmer page
http://ebanjohnson.com/BELLMER/m198218940006.jpg
on the cover of a book in ghost in the shell 2:innocence...
i'll have to check that.
by the way, the androids in ghost in the shell look quite familiar to those bellmer dolls, before they get their skin coating on.

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:20 pm
HumanPosts: 17Location: UK / PortugalJoined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:26 pm
Indeed, the strange use of perspective in some parts of Blame! makes me always think of Escher. :)

I haven't read GOITS 2, only the first volume, but I have to agree with you, the androids of Shirow are really similar to Bellmer's dolls. I think Bellmer created the perfect image of an artificial living being with those expressionless dolls. It's no wonder we're seeing it popping out everywhere...

But I think Nihei has got it just right, the way he uses bellmer's and giger's images is damn perfect! In fact, his Silicon Life creatures look like they were made by Giger himself! I wonder if Giger knows Blame!, it would be nice to know what he thinks of it, eheh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:14 am
Site AdminPosts: 322Location: GermanyJoined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:08 pm

from ghost in the shell 2: innocence, at minute 25

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:40 pm
HumanPosts: 20Location: Boston MAJoined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:24 pm
there is an part in blame (I'll find the page number when i get home) It's after Cibo and Killy get through to the next level above the capital, the level where they encounter toha heavy industries. they come across a barely living entity that is accessed by the governing agency (or maybe it was once a member) that warns them that the safeguard are approaching. this thing that warns them looks extremely similiar to the dead alien pilot they encounter on the downed spacecraft in alien. it's almost like its an intentional homage to giger.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:16 pm
Self Aware AIPosts: 167Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:01 pm

In this image there's a reptile thing climbimg up a wall, the first thing that came to my head when I saw this was the Builder in vol9 that is with Cibo. It really looks like a reptile.
Also, there is a description on animenfo.com that says this:
"In a shutdown area, thousands of levels overlap each other, you couldn't tell the sky from the ground and you couldn't tell which way is up or which way is down."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:21 pm
HumanPosts: 17Location: UK / PortugalJoined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:26 pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:20 am
BuilderPosts: 35Location: SwedenJoined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:20 am
Very interesting, indeed.

I drew the connection between I, Robot and the safeguards myself, in fact. And I've forgotten the name, but there's a polish artist whose style is similiar to that of Nihei's. Maybe you've already mentioned him, but it was years ago I saw some of his works.

Either way, no-one thinks that the guys in Half-Life 2 looks alot like the ones in Biomega? Err... I can't recall the names right now (haven't played HL2 and I don't have the BioMega-chapters on my laptop), but look for yourself.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:37 pm
ExterminatorPosts: 115Location: Base Reality/Frozen TierJoined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:31 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:23 pm
HumanPosts: 13Location: rotterdam sectorJoined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:20 am
whoah! nice... I was not aware of Zdzislaw Beksinski before...
thanx for pointing out

about Hans Bellmer i'm not too sure.. Nihei isn't realy using the crippled/mutated kind of dolls and if you are resembling to the faces and
joints they look like the older and regular doll-making technique

dolls are scary... especialy the ceramic ones and googling for 'doll' is kinda harrasing :p

My parents had the big Necromonicon by H.R.Giger so i grew up with his art
so i felt quite at home with Nihei's work :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:40 am
HumanPosts: 13Location: rotterdam sectorJoined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:20 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:35 pm
HumanPosts: 2Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:27 pm
I registered just because i discovered this photo by Italian photographer Gabriele Basilico which i think was used in Abara:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:26 pm
Advanced SafeguardPosts: 217Location: SwedenJoined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:09 am
BuilderPosts: 42Location: Redondo Beach, CAJoined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:55 pm
I noticed a definite steal (in my mind)

The gun is the WR09HL SPIRIT laser gun from armored core. I didn't notice until I saw this picture, then double checked the game, and found that it looks exactly like a gbe made into a rifle :confused:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:40 pm
Advanced SafeguardPosts: 217Location: SwedenJoined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:34 pm
to bad they didnt steal some good design for the clothing to :p

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:13 am
BuilderPosts: 42Location: Redondo Beach, CAJoined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:55 pm
well, there isn't supposed to be clothing in armored core. In fact, people have nothing to do with the game. This is just a picture someone drew of an anime girl WITH armored core parts on her. Honestly, it was the only pic I could find that showed the gun :/

Offline Profile WWW