<  General 2.0  ~  Portal 2 similarities with Blame

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:27 pm
BuilderPosts: 29Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 pm
I just finished Portal 2, which is awesome by the way. It has quite a few similarities with Blame.

A huge abandoned contained technological world, with no living people. Each area sealed off from the next.
A crazy A.I. running the system.
Even the music is very much like the Blame DVD, metal scraping sounds, ambiance.

Very awesome...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 pm
HumanPosts: 17Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:14 pm
An impossibly huge, decaying megastructure inhabited by a sinister AI... Wow, I feel a little silly for not noticing the connection.

Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I appreciate how the game's setting is a lot more sinister than the humorous banter lets on to.

*minor spoilers*

I mean, we're told right off the bat that the protagonist has come out of stasis centuries into an unknown future -- the world as she knew it is long gone. The idea of a post-apocalyptic world is occasionally played for laughs, but since this is in the Half-Life universe, there's a distinct possibility that no recognizable civilization exists for Chell to return to.

Escaping from the facility only to find a post-apocalyptic dystopia would be a real kick in the gut... The first Portal game hinted at this, come to think of it, but I wonder if the slightly ramped-up humor of Portal 2 makes it harder to take this possibility seriously.

Anyway, I can't complain -- Portal 2 is damn good. :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:06 pm
HumanPosts: 9Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:57 pm
i have to agree.

quite a Blame!-like atmosphere.

an additional reason why it's one of the best games out there

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:26 am
BuilderPosts: 29Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 pm
OMG. I can't believe I didn't put this in the original post.

AND THEY BOTH HAVE GRAVITY WARPING GUNS !!!

Thanks for the image Zapan. I remember the moment well, very cool.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:59 am
Advanced SafeguardPosts: 254Location: Bello Zombie, Puerto RicoJoined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm
HumanPosts: 5Location: RussiaJoined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 pm
ExterminatorPosts: 123Location: GermanyJoined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:13 pm
Insomanic wrote:
I mean, we're told right off the bat that the protagonist has come out of stasis centuries into an unknown future -- the world as she knew it is long gone. The idea of a post-apocalyptic world is occasionally played for laughs, but since this is in the Half-Life universe, there's a distinct possibility that no recognizable civilization exists for Chell to return to.

That doesn't look like a wasteland.
I always thought that the Portal games played in a big undergroud research facility, like the Umbrella ones in Resident Evil and if something happend down there, uphere nobody would notice.