<  Anime & Merchandise  ~  About the movie, the TV series or whatever...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 am
Silicon CreaturePosts: 51Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:55 am
Hmmm in my opinion an animated Blame! should not be in 3d.. actually not the way thay're making it.. it is born from drawings, so that, it should be made as a "cartoon". Animated with CGI, but made as a cartoon.. with motion-captures and all the things used by modern animators. Today, almost every animated cartoon-like movie is made through CGI

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am
Electronic KnightPosts: 380Location: MalaysiaJoined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:21 pm
IMO as long as they don't touch cel shader algorithms it ought to be pretty promising. I have faith in Production IG's technical ability.

Also my gripe with this attitude is that from my professional perspective being currently an artist in the animation industry it is PLAIN WRONG to blame the ARTISTS for 'screwing up' the look.

The vast majority of the time the animation gets messed up because the Producer/Director has the wrong idea/lacks the technical knowledge about how the artwork/scenes should be executed and we artists get stuck in the middle.

You think we want to do shit work? These are our livelyhoods and reputations that go into it every day. Sometimes it goes awry because we lack what we need at the time but at least we have the guts to try.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:49 am
Silicon CreaturePosts: 96Location: Rio de Janeiro, BrasilJoined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:03 pm
MadWork wrote:
http://www.anime-days.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=358&Itemid=80
Here's something about the Prologue anyway

All screencaps posted are too close to the characters, it's not like in the manga where the landscapes are the main features. I hope they are just showing their work with the characters, because the background is what gives me 98% of the atmosphere on Blame!.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 pm
Electronic KnightPosts: 307Location: Bay Area, CA, USAJoined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:56 pm
MMod wrote:
MadWork wrote:
http://www.anime-days.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=358&Itemid=80
Here's something about the Prologue anyway

All screencaps posted are too close to the characters, it's not like in the manga where the landscapes are the main features. I hope they are just showing their work with the characters, because the background is what gives me 98% of the atmosphere on Blame!.

I'd actually disagree with this statement. They're trying to show off the characters in the screencaps so of course they're going to take up most of the picture. There were a lot of these scenes in the manga. One of the pics shows nothing but the background anyways. Also, the seem to even got the large clouds of dust and mist that appear in many of the battle scenes correct. I'm rather impressed by this actually, while I liked some of the clips in the old animated OVA, I think this does a far better job of getting the feeling of BLAME! across. The monolithic backgrounds lend themselves well to 3D rendering I'd imagine and there aren't any psychadelic colors either.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:53 pm
Silicon CreaturePosts: 96Location: Rio de Janeiro, BrasilJoined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:03 pm
Vaxillus wrote:
I'd actually disagree with this statement. They're trying to show off the characters in the screencaps so of course they're going to take up most of the picture. There were a lot of these scenes in the manga. One of the pics shows nothing but the background anyways. Also, the seem to even got the large clouds of dust and mist that appear in many of the battle scenes correct.

I swear I want believe you. I would be so happy, but with so many screencaps, why not focus a little bit more on the city, instead of the characters? The city is what makes Blame! so cool for me. Just one caption of the city is not enough to make me have good expectations. So, I am very skeptical of what will come out of this.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:28 pm
BuilderPosts: 26Location: KanadaJoined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:01 pm
safeguard-|- wrote:
Lol wish it was in engrish...

Engrish translations... AVAILABLE

On Septembre 7, two editions of the Prologue of Blame! an animated adaptation of the well know series Blame! by Tsutomu Nihei, came out in stores in Japan. It's the occasion to talk about the actors of this strange production team of 3DCG.

This project regroups Genon, Micott & Basara and Beagle. Blame! (the prologue I presume) in an attempt at adapting the particular world of Tsutomu Nihei in a new movie (a long-métrage, I don’t know how to translate, it means it can have a sequel) in 3D exploiting CGI graphics. In the two DVD editions, are proposed previews of the works of studio JINNI’s with Shigeyuki Watanabe.

JINNI’s will collaborate with Tata Elxis, a Indian corporation specialized in CGI. This corporation directed by Syamal GUPTA have already participated into the making of Spiderman III. The youngest department of Tata Elxsi is called Visual Computing Labs (VCL). This department is dedicated to the creation of animations and 3D special effects. This team will be the ones who will work on the Blame! project in the 3D modelisation.

Another collaborator to the project, Dynamo Picture, will also participate in the 3D experience. This corporation worked on the 6th One Piece movie. Dynamo Picture is in majority owned by Index Holdings who also own a part of Madhouse.

We can also find XeNN Studios among the craftmen for the CGI of this prologues. Founded in 2004 for XeNN corporation (founded in 1998), this studio is dedicated into the making of 3D numeric work for different clients, mostly important television stations.

On the design side, we can note de presence of the members of MHz (Tsutomu Nihei already participated into that group before with Matic-Log and L?K?O). We can also notice Naoyoshi SHIOTANI working on the storyboard for the two parts of the prologue. We recently talked about this artist during the announcement of his first realization : Tokyo Marble Chocolat.

What will this two episodes be?

First, they are short… Naturally, in 4 minutes, its hard to get a good general idea but the two episodes are very silent, like its first adaptation. Which means there are no dialogs, large plans allowing us to appreciate the work of Production IG and Kusanagi on the landscapes combining both 2D elements and 3D architecture. Unfortunately, we can see lots of problems with the animations of the characters who are still looking so stiff. On the other side, the works of luminosity will give an ambiance way less interesting then the original manga. A good surprise will be found on the side of the soundtrack with Nonaka “masa” Yuichi who composed a electronic soundtrack of quality.

The two shorts are centered on the hero, Killy, fighting two strange creature (Ivy and Meave I presume). Fans of Sana-Kan will be disappointed, the character only make a brief apparition.

We will have to wait for the whole movie to come out to see that strange story transposed on the big-screen. Concerning the scenario, how to structure a story that is during several volumes? Will the movie be concerning the whole movie or only one part of it? Or even a special side-story by Nihei? Concerning the techniques with the 3D animation mixed to the 2D and 3D landscape is candy for the eyes.

The fans are awaiting

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:37 pm
Silicon CreaturePosts: 97Location: Ireland, DroghedaJoined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:14 pm
Thanx for translation ure my hero ^^ atlast I have some clues whats this Prologue is all about ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:01 pm
Silicon CreaturePosts: 56Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 1:09 pm
I'm not into 3d modeling, animation and stuff at all, and I don't wanna discredit anyone's work, but I must say that these screenshots look pretty ugly to me..looking at them, I can't "breathe" the feeling that even a single BLAME! picture makes me feel at all, and Killy and the Silicon Life we see don't even look like the original drawings to me..I'm one of those who would prefer an anime version to a 3D animation..if you know what I mean, I don't think that the guys that are working on this have the same money amount than the guys who did the Transformers movie's special effects had :-?

BLAME!'s a fuckin graphic masterpiece, I don't wanna see something like an intro to an old videogame, watching it has to be an outstanding experience! it would be like making a Berzerk movie with puppets :cry:

to be honest I don't really see this project as something particularly interesting (wich is bad, beeing Nihei's works like some kind of "religion" to me)..boh..I REALLY hope I'm wrong cause I'd love to see BLAME!'s world moving and breathing..........breathing?! :confused: ah, whatever...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:39 am
Self Aware AIPosts: 190Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:14 am
we wants rips :-D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:51 pm
HumanPosts: 4Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:09 pm
All I've been able to find is this trailer on YT. And... yeah I dunno. :/ Judge for yourselves.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:17 pm
Silicon CreaturePosts: 51Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:55 am
RyuHime wrote:
All I've been able to find is this trailer on YT. And... yeah I dunno. :/ Judge for yourselves.

:cry: I didn't like it.. it's not what I want from an animated transposition of BLAME!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:06 am
Electronic KnightPosts: 380Location: MalaysiaJoined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:21 pm
Too soon and too little to tell.

*edit*

After watching over the trailer several times today I will be the first to say that I actually LIKE the look of this. It could stand to be dirtier and more chaotic but the look of Killy and that bit of megastructure is down pat.

I was never a big fan of the technicolor megastructure in the shorts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:42 am
HumanPosts: 17Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:14 pm
After seeing the trailer, I'm more than willing to give it a chance. I actually kind of liked the grating colors of the shorts, if only in a few Logs...

My biggest concern was that they'd try to ape the style without getting the mood right, since mimicking the exact line style of Blame! in CG seems pretty much impossible. It's a pleasant surprise that they've gone for that cool harsh-shadow-glare-whatever effect. The only thing I'm disappointed about is the GBE... I'd prefer to see a big ol' concussive blast when it passes through walls rather than a flashy blue flame. 8-)

And ShakKen, thanks for some perspective on the animation industry... It's easy to forget that there's actual people behind the brand-name studios...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:25 pm
Advanced SafeguardPosts: 226Location: BLAME!Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:33 am
I picked up the Killy DVD set for prologue, and the 4 minutes (more like 2 actually, minus credits) I saw was about half good.

Sometimes the motions felt odd... the visuals stay true to nihei, with backgrounds being the main feature. However, when it comes to characters, they are styling them realistically. Like, in the DVD he fights that one silicon human chick from the beginning (and was in the anime too), but instead of those huge ass goofy eyes she has in both the manga and anime, they are very human like, just kinda lazy eyed in both.

The music really sets the mood, and there was no dialogue. Some of it was really beautiful, and some of it was like "ooooh D="

I will try to burn it and put it on a file sharing site or something? I've been kinda busy lately, but I will attempt to get that done today.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:09 am
BuilderPosts: 26Location: KanadaJoined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:01 pm
From what I can see in the trailer,...
I think I liked the first logs better, the animated ones. :(
The new ones dosen't look as dynamic.

Offline Profile WWW