[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
heeen's blame forum • View topic - which books have you read recently?

<  Talk'n'Spam  ~  which books have you read recently?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 am
BuilderPosts: 33Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 9:27 pm
i just finished "haruki murakami -south of the border, west of the sun"
it was the second time i read it...and i think it's a real good book. i finished the book just a few minutes ago. i read half of it yesterday evening and today i finished reading it. and now..i feel kind of..nostalgic :) i like the feeling when i have just finished a murakami book. a mix of surreal, nostalgic and "i want more" feeling...

i have murakami weeks at home :)

bevore "south of the border.." i've read "hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world" from murakami. it's the most surreal book i've ever read, and i like surreal books.

now i start reading "afterdark" the new novel from murakami.

which books do you guys like?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:35 pm
ExterminatorPosts: 142Location: BrazilJoined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:10 pm
I want to read "Hard boiled Wonderland" but is hard to find here. =/

The last one I read was "Mona Lisa Overdrive", the third book from the Sprawl Trilogy, by William Gibson. That was a great book. Right, Neuromancer is the best, but after reading all the 3 books they got even better.

Now I don't know if a will read Gibson's Burning Chrome or something from Italo Calvino or Cortázar. Ah, and before Mona lisa I Was reading "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish", by Douglas Adams. His books are the best. =D

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:44 pm
BuilderPosts: 33Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 9:27 pm
i have finished afterdark now. it's a strange book. you see the whole book from the eyes of a camera....

i think it was entertaining, but the ending is kind of....not there :) i mean for example: there is this main charakter, a girl, eri, who sleeps for 2 month without waking up once. you see her in her "dreamworld" but it is never explanined if she wakes up at the end or not.
it's like the whole story is unfinished.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:30 pm
ExterminatorPosts: 124Location: GermanyJoined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:34 pm

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:15 pm
Electronic KnightPosts: 307Location: Bay Area, CA, USAJoined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:56 pm
Finished The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson. It's a good book, but it starts off slow and a bit confusing. The more you read the harder it is to put down. It's both about nanomachines and childrearing. I won't go into it more than that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:28 am
Silicon CreaturePosts: 99Location: Oklahoma City, OK, USAJoined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:01 am
Last book I read was Nemesis by Isaac Asimov. Brilliant writer, that man is.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:26 am
Silicon CreaturePosts: 90Location: USAJoined: Tue May 31, 2005 2:10 pm
I just finished Don Quixote. The unabridged version... very long but o' so great.
I just started 1984.
Btw, Blame! vol 4 was released by tokyopop earlier this month.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:50 pm
HumanPosts: 16Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:23 pm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:37 pm
ExterminatorPosts: 124Location: GermanyJoined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:34 pm

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:16 pm
HumanPosts: 7Location: BerlinJoined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:35 pm

As our species has faced the frightening fact that we do not know who we are in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules to form their view of reality.

Think for yourself
Question authority
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:33 pm
BuilderPosts: 31Location: USA, CAJoined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:14 am

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:13 am
ExterminatorPosts: 115Location: Base Reality/Frozen TierJoined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:31 am
I just finished Flowers for Algernon. It's about IQ, intelligence and how it relates to humanity and emotion. Good writing but a little weak on plot.

I'm also in the middle of reading Herodotus' Historeia. Much funnier than I would have expected from a great classic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:43 pm
Advanced SafeguardPosts: 254Location: the 2,861st DimensionJoined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:35 am
I love anything by Terry Pratchett and Walter Moers. :-D

@Krypter: I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time a while back, and it's pretty similar to Flowers for Algernon.

Last edited by Luciola on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:49 pm
HumanPosts: 19Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm
Silicon CreaturePosts: 53Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:08 pm
The Road. Very interesting. I didn't like how there were no quotations but it made me have to think sometimes.

Deception Point and Digital Fortress I had no idea were by the same person. Both were vrey well put together. Now I am reading The Lost Symbol.

Offline Profile