[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
heeen's blame forum • View topic - How did you find Nihei's works? How many have you read?

<  General 2.0  ~  How did you find Nihei's works? How many have you read?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:09 pm
BuilderPosts: 34Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 pm
As the topic says how did you stumble onto Tsutomu Nihei's works? Did it get recommended did you or did you just find it by chance?

I remember finding it through some anime review website... I suspect myanimelist. Thankfully the synopsis was very vague and even the reviews didn't explain what Blame! was exactly. I read the whole thing, amazed that it even existed.

I still don't get how something so confusing and hard to understand story wise is so brilliant at the same time.

Then I found out that Biomega existed. I thought it would be real short but I got through that as well.

From there I went to his one shots (the zombie one I forgot, digimortal) and then finished off with the prequel for Blame! And Abara.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 pm
Silicon CreaturePosts: 70Location: PortugalJoined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:44 pm
Found it around 2005 through omanga in the old days of scanlation groups. I think Blame! and Leviathan were the first two titles I read that were more mature in content. Before that I was really concentrating on shonen titles. It was during this time I tried to read Berserk but found it not to my taste and to this day never picked up again. Maybe someday.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm
Oh man I can't believe I forgot about omanga! That was my go to place for all manga. Man I loved that one.

Berserk is an amazing dark fantasy. But it does really get dark and grim and the gore can be a bit much. It took a lot but I finally got used to it.

Do you read Gantz?

I've never heard of Leviathan. Got to check that out

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:35 pm
Self Aware AIPosts: 190Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:14 am
ha.

it was around 2004, the golden age of scanlation.
scanlators those days had some dignity unlike those retarded kids today. by today i mean for the last 10 years or so.

i was really into shonen, i was a teenager so whatever, and had severe case of ocd so i downloaded all the shit i could from every manga websites i could find.

one mangacrystalnova or something hosted gantz and did i love that manga. it was still really good, before dinosaur mission. downhill from there, sadly.
then i got to omanga, who were doing blame. and fuckload of other awesome shit along with the hawk who were doing even crazier shit namely one koroshiya ichi.
those manga hit me on the tits hard and made me ditched shonen shit because they are shit.

i'm a big fan of dragon ball and one piece though

took me a year to even understand wtf is going on in blame.
and this messageboard helped me a lot, thank you heen for being awesome and old members for all those discussions.

if you liked gantz you should read koroshiya ichi and shigurui. some crazy shit.
also freesia and almost all works from the mangaka.

just give up on berserk, it was good but he's lost it.

thank yous mangaproject/mangasketchbook/omanga/hawks/mangascreener/kotonoha for introducing great manga for millions of dorks all around the world, i'm sure you're reading this.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:54 pm
Golden age of scanlation? What do you mean? Never understood that world at all.

shounen can really be full of it. So glad i found seinen, otherwise reading manga or watching anime wouldve stopped then and there. so tired of meaningless no stakes shit manga and anime with resurrecting characters and recycled plots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:11 am
HumanPosts: 4Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:08 am
I found Blame through an interview with Hajime Isayama, the author of Attack on Titan, back in 2013 (yes, during AoT's hype). He cited Blame (and some other mangas) as a source of inspiration and I got compelled to read them all. Blame captivated me the most.

Offline Profile